FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions and Application Notes
We have documented the answers to the most frequently asked questions to enable you to easily and quickly find answers directly.
|2||RP||Reserved for power supply via bus (rarely supported in DP)|
|3||B/B´ (red)||RxD / TxD-P||Transmit and receive data (+)|
|4||CNTR-P||Control signal for repeater (+), not always supported|
|5||C/C´||DGND||Data reference potential and supply termination (-)|
|6||VP||Supply voltage terminating resistor (+) IMPORTANT!!|
|7||RP||Reserved for power supply via bus (rarely supported in DP)|
|8||A/A´ (green)||RxD / TxD-N||Transmit and receive data (-)|
|9||CNTR-N||Control signal for repeater (-), not always supported|
PROFIBUS Interfaces / Gateways / Driver
When installing the driver, the following message appears in the Device Manager: 'Windows cannot find the specified file'
In rare cases, Windows 2000/XP may have problems properly detecting new hardware. A possible cause is a missing registry entry:
You can add this entry manually if you are logged in with administrator privileges.
Attention: Please follow these instructions very carefully. Incorrect settings can render your computer useless.
- Open the registry editor (Start->Run->regedit).
- Go to the following entry by expanding the corresponding folders in the tree on the left:
- Select 'CurrentVersion' and create a new registry key named 'RunOnce' ('Edit' menu 'New' -> 'Key')
- Leave all other registry settings unchanged.
- Close the registry editor and reboot your computer.
Where can I find the GSD files for operating my Softing PROFIBUS interface as master?
If you want the PROFIboardPCI (PB-IF…), PROFIboard, PB-PC104, FG-100 or FG-300 to run as master, you can use the softb203.gsd file, which is located in the directory
C:\Program Files\Softing\PROFIBUS\SDK\DDB(GSD)\PROFIboard master b203
once you have installed the driver.
For PROFIcard2 please use this GSD file:
C:\Program Files\Softing\PROFIBUS\SDK\DDB(GSD)\PROFIcard master b204\softb204.gsd
For the PROFIpro and PROFIusb interfaces you can use the GSD file:
C:\Program Files\Softing\PROFIBUS\SDK\DDB(GSD)\PBpro master 0baa\soft0baa.gsd
Alternatively, PROFIboard or PROFIcard can be selected in applications instead of PROFIusb.
Where can I find the GSD files for operating my Softing PROFIBUS interface as slave in order to connect to an S7 controller?
If you want the PROFIboardPCI (PB-IF…), PROFIboard, PB-PC104, FG-100 or FG-300 to run as slave, you can use the softb205.gsd file, which is located in the directory
C:\Program Files\Softing\PROFIBUS\SDK\DDB(GSD)\PROFIboard slave b205
once you have installed the driver.
For the PROFIpro interface please use this GSD file:
C:\Program Files\Softing\PROFIBUS\SDK\DDB(GSD)\PBpro slave 0b35\soft0b35.gsd
You may need to adapt this GSD file to your specific application. Please note that a modified GSD file must be certified by PI (PROFIBUS International) before you distribute it.
Where can I find GSD files for PROFIBUS interfaces in order to connect ABB robots to Siemens S7 or other masters?
The GSD file customized to your ABB robot is available from your contact person at ABB Robotics.
Please check if the board is correctly installed in the Device Manager. If it is, try creating the board manually and press the 'Apply' button.
Go to the Control Panel of your system, select the PROFIBUS entry and open the PROFIBUS Control Panel. The PROFIBUS tree in the left-hand pane shows all the configured nodes and their current status. Select the root of the PROFIBUS tree. The information pane on the right now shows the installed driver version in the "Installation API and Driver" line.
KON-DP can be licensed using a hardware key (dongle) for either the USB port or the parallel port. Licensing via software key is not possible.
Currently there is no LabView support available for the PROFIBUS interface cards.
But LabView offers a call interface to external DLL functions. The Softing PROFIBUS API (PAPI) can also be called with it.
The actual version of the PROFIBUS driver setup V5.46.8 can be found on the download area of the Softing’s web site. The SDK contains standard C samples and the PAPI documentation.
The driver setup doesn’t yet contain the .NET API. It will be integrated in the next driver installation package.
This time there is a separate download here, which contains a .NET wrapper and sample programme in C#.
- In Visual Studio open the Solution-explorer and select the properties
- Please check under Application “Client-only Framework”
- In the Solution-explorer there is now an “App.config” file
Please insert into this file under the section startup.
Ultrabooks cannot supply enough power constantly for the PROFIusb interface. It can causes communication issues.
This problem usually does not occur when the Ultrabook hangs on the network adapter.
This behavior is not known with the new PBpro USB.
- Detect devices: the configurator detects the slaves when you run the scanning process.
- Important: Delete the cyclic data container (CyclicData) of the slave whose address you want to change
- Then activate the configuration via the Toolbar (or context menu or F5). The PROFIBUS Master establishes a connection with the configured Slave.
- Change the desired station address. Highlight the slave whose address you want to change, open the context menu and select "Properties". A dialog box opens in which you can set the desired address. Click “Apply” to confirm your settings. After about 10 seconds the “Apply” button becomes grey which means the device address has changed. Click “OK” to close the dialog.
- Deactivate the configuration
- Activate the configuration again.
The slave can now be accessed with its new address.